These days, there are lots of creative ways to motivate yourself to get fit! Apart from joining support groups, you can now use diet and stepbet apps to play games and earn money once you reach your fitness goals.
That’s right! You can earn money by getting fit!
Money is a great motivator for anyone who needs inspiration. I mean, who doesn’t want extra cash, right? What a better bet than betting on yourself! The more you win diet and fitness games, the more motivated you’ll be in achieving your goals.
To get you started, here’s a list of top diet and fitness apps you should try.
Top 6 Diet and StepBet Apps
Burn calories and win challenges by achieving step goals! StepBet is a fitness game that encourages people to keep moving. In each game, players must set their weekly step goal, which is calculated based on their activity level.
The lowest bet you can give is $40. You bet on yourself and win money if you hit your personalized step goal for the entire game — that’s your money back plus a profit (you split a pot with other winners).
Most games last six weeks, though the duration may vary from game to game. Apart from the cash prize, you get community support and accountability as you work towards a healthy and active lifestyle.
- Types of Challenges – Since step goals are based on your current activity level, your goals will continue to increase with each consecutive game. If you want to take on a tougher challenge, the Active Accelerator is a StepBet game with six active days a week and a goal that increases by 2 percent each week.
- Unique Rules – In most of the games, the first week is considered a ‘warm-up week’ where players don’t get disqualified and anyone can leave without losing their money. Regular players can only play one game at a time, while registered StepBet members can play up to 3 games at a time. Moreover, you can’t change your step tracker while playing a game. You can only change the tracker you’re using when the game is done and when you’re starting a new game.
- Equipment Needed – To play the game, you need to have activity trackers while walking. You also have to make sure your trackers are sync with your StepBet app. If you’re using Android Google Fit, iPhone Apple Health, Android S Health, and S Gear Steps, you must carry your phone so your steps can be tracked. StepBet currently supports these wearable activity trackers:
- iPhone Fitbit
- Android Fitbit
- iPhone Apple Watch
- Garmin Trackers
Make weight loss fun and rewarding with HealthyWage! HealthyWage is an app that offers motivating incentive programs for anyone who wants to lose weight. It’s financially backed by hospitals, food companies, insurers, and the government — institutions who believe in paying incentives to help people manage their weight.
To join, you simply set your weight loss target and the app calculates the number of months you need to complete your goal. It also indicates the prize range and asks how much you’re willing to bet per month. Weekly weigh-ins with other participants also keep your progress in check.
- Types of Challenges – Participants can join 2 types of incentive programs, the Team Challenge and the HealthyWager:
- The Team Challenge is a 3-month weight loss contest where teams of 5 compete for top 3 spots: 1st place $10,000, 2nd place $5,000 and 3rd place $3,000. The team who loses the greatest percentage of weight wins.
- The HealthyWager is an individual program where you set your own weight loss goal. You must reach your weight loss target within a reasonable number of months. Once the weigh in is confirmed and you’ve reached your goal, you’ll win the prize.
- Unique Rules – Participants can join up to 10 challenges at the same time. HealthyWage also made the yo-yo rule specifically for participants who’ve won $500 or more in a single HealthyWage challenge. Before the player starts a new challenge, HealthyWage adjusts their weight to the last weigh in to avoid awarding the same winner. This rule also allows more people to take advantage of the program. Want to boost your earnings? They have an affiliate program where you can get $60 for referring a HealthyWager participant or $40 for referring a Team Challenge participant. Moreover, unlike other fitness apps, they don’t offer any ‘warm-up’ period. You can’t cancel your bet and there are no refunds. It’s their way of discouraging participants from dropping out.
- Equipment Needed – All you need is your smartphone, HealthyWage app and a scale and you’re all set. You just need to have your weight verified twice every time you join a challenge; once at the start, and once at the end of a challenge.
Put your money where your mouth is by using DietBet! This app is an online weight loss game that allows users to bet on their weight loss targets. Like other health apps, users must complete their goal within a set period of time. Winning challenges help keep you committed to reach your goals. It also allows you to interact with an incredibly supportive community.
- Types of Challenges – DietBet offers 2 types of weight loss games, the Kickstarter and the Transformer challenge:
- Kickstarter challenges are 4-week games where players bet on themselves to lose 4 percent of their weight. You can choose many Kickstarter challenges with different pot sizes, bet amounts and number of participants. Some games even have celebrity hosts. It’s most ideal for participants who don’t want long-term diet commitments.
- Transformer challenges are suited for players who want to gradually lose a significant amount of weight. You bet on yourself to lose 10 percent of your weight in the course of 6 months. It comes with monthly targets to keep your health and progress in check.
- Unique Rules – Participants can play up to 3 Kickstarter and 3 Transformer games at a time. You can even host your own weight loss challenge. When it comes to refunds, Kickstarter players can cancel their bet and get a full refund as long as they withdraw within 7 days from the start of the game. For Transformer players, those who pay in full can refund their tokens (tokens allow players to submit official, verified weigh-ins at any time) and bets until Day 14 of Round 1. Players who pay monthly will receive a refund of their first month’s bet and tokens until Day 14 of Round 1. Players won’t be charged for future Rounds if they withdraw in the middle of the game. Take note: only players with medical emergencies can get their money back after the refund period has passed.
- Equipment Needed – For DietBet, all you need is your smartphone, a camera and scale to play the game. You need to submit photos of yourself before and after a game as part of their weight verification process.
Make running more fun and rewarding with cash prizes from RunBet! This app is a training program, virtual race and running club all rolled into one. It aims to get you into a consistent running routine by giving you cash rewards when you complete your running game. What’s more, you get to support from a very active and encouraging fitness community.
When you register, you need to commit to goals set by the game. Then you simply bet any amount on yourself to reach your goals. Once you hit all the goals verified by RunBet’s referees, you’ll win your bet and split the pot evenly with other winners. RunBet games may be shorter or longer depending on the individual game’s rules. For each game, all players are given the same running schedule.
- Types of Challenges – RunBet offers a wide variety of running challenges to help you find games that match your fitness level and personal goals. There are programs like “Running for Weight Loss” and “Half Marathon Challenge.” Take note, you need to meet a minimum running pace for your runs to qualify, which depends on the rules set in a particular game. Moreover, there are RunBet challenges made for beginners or slow runners. In beginner games, you can actually mix running and walking to still qualify for a game. For players who are up for a harder challenge, you can join games with a higher minimum running pace.
- Unique Rules – For this app, you can only play one RunBet game at a time. If you’ve been disqualified in a game, you are allowed to join a new one immediately. Moreover, only one qualifying run will be counted per day. It should encourage you to make the most out of every run you make. All your runs should also be tracked in one continuous period from start to finish. To prevent cheating, RunBet prohibits the use of exercise machines except for traditional treadmills.
- Equipment Needed – To play this game, all you need is your smartphone, RunBet app and fitness tracker. The app supports tracking apps like Runkeeper, Strava and Garmin Connect along with wearable devices compatible with the said apps. For players who like to run outdoors, you should make sure to use your GPS and fitness trackers to record your run. If you prefer to use a treadmill, you don’t need to use a tracker. You just need to take a photo of your treadmill and run stats along with a selfie and send it to RunBet referees to credit your run.
Earn gifts by doing physical activities like walking and running with Sweatcoin! This fitness app tracks your outdoor activities throughout the day. For every 1,000 steps, you’ll get exactly 0.95 Sweatcoins—a type of digital money that allows you to purchase products online.
Unlike other health apps, you won’t be penalized for skipping your diet or workout targets. Instead, Sweatcoin encourages you to keep moving by accumulating more digital currency. Your Sweatcoin can be used to buy a wide variety of goods and services such as the latest running shoes, anti-gravity yoga classes, Apple watches, video game consoles, and many more. Aside from earning digital money, you get to help others too. With Sweatcoin, you can donate your currency to partnering charities around the world.
- Types of Challenges – To motivate members, Sweatcoin continuously provides new offers that have to be purchased within a short period of time. This gives you new goals and keeps the experience fresh. For instance, when there are 5 new offers every few weeks, it encourages you to walk and run more every day. This challenge scheme also keeps you alert for new offers so you can spend your currency wisely.
- Unique Rules – Take note: yhe app only counts walks when you’re outdoors. It’s constantly running on your phone and uses your GPS tracker to determine when you’re inside or outside. Also, right now, you can’t make money directly from Sweatcoin, but you can sell your currency to other members for a few cents (Sweatcoin’s long-term vision is to eventually allow members to convert digital currency into cash). Members can only earn a maximum of 5 to 20 Sweatcoins a day, depending on their membership level. When you first sign up, the app provides you with a free subscription that allows you to gain 5 Sweatcoins a day—that’s 5,000 outdoor steps. Afterwards, you can upgrade your membership by purchasing monthly subscriptions that allow you to increase the maximum number of coins you can earn. There are currently 3 types of subscriptions:
- Shaker subscription – Costs 4.75 Sweatcoins per month, allows you to gain 10 Sweatcoins a day (10,000 outdoor steps).
- Quaker subscription – Costs Costs 20 Sweatcoins per month, allows you to gain 15 Sweatcoins a day (15,000 outdoor steps).
- Breaker subscription – Costs Costs 30 Sweatcoins per month, allows you to gain 20 Sweatcoins a day (20,000 outdoor steps).
- Equipment Needed – You’ll simply need your smartphone, Sweatcoin app and GPS tracker to earn digital currency while running or walking. As of April 2018, Sweatcoin has began looking into connecting the app with new brands of treadmills to allow members to earn points while walking and running indoors.
Get monetary motivation to get you up and going! Achievement helps you reach your fitness goals by rewarding you with points convertible to cash. However, unlike other fitness apps, you don’t need to upload a photo every time you engage in healthy activities. You just need a fitness tracker to earn points.
You can earn points by simply taking a walk, recording meals, meditating, posting healthy tweets and more. For instance, taking 350-370 steps is equivalent to 1 point. The app automatically awards points for when you take steps. A thousand points will earn you $1 and 10,000 points will earn you $10. Once you reach 10,000 points, you’ll get paid.
- Types of Challenges – Achievement doesn’t involve betting or joining a community where you’re required to interact with other members. It’s just you tracking your health and fitness activities. You’re basically challenging yourself to do better, whether it’s getting more active, making healthier food choices or going to bed early. You can earn bonus points by doing activities under the Offers tab. These activities include answering surveys, participating in research studies and signing up for health programs.
- Unique Rules – To earn more points, Achievement has a referral program that allows you to get 250 points for every friend you refer. You can maximize your points by linking more health and stepbet apps to your Achievement app.
- Equipment Needed – Aside from your smartphone, you just need to sync in a fitness tracker to record your activities. If you want a minimalist approach to earning money while you get fit, this is a good app for you. Whether you prefer to hold your phone or use a wearable device, Achievement connects with more than 30 Android and iOS apps including:
- Apple Health
- Samsung Health
- Stop, Breathe, Think
It’s great to win cash and other rewards when you achieve your fitness goals. Just keep going and don’t give up. Having a fit and healthy body is the best reward you’ll receive in the long run.
Have you tried HealthyWage, StepBet apps or anything similar to keep you motivated? Tell us in the comments below!