Get a full-body stretch while toning your chest, thighs and legs by doing the Half Moon Pose. This great yoga position also trains you to balance and practice your muscle coordination. It stretches your chest and shoulders and improves your spine’s flexibility. To try this pose, just follow these steps.
How to Do the Half Moon Pose
- Begin in a standing position with your hands on your sides.
- Step one foot forward and your other foot to the back. If you’re stepping your right foot forward, make sure your knee is directly above your ankle.
- Raise your arms parallel to the ground.
- Shift your weight forward and lift your back leg off the ground. Focus on your balance. Keep your arms straight. If you’re balancing with your right foot, your right arm should try to touch the ground for support. Your left hand should remain straight and extended to the ceiling. Take note: for a more challenging pose, try to bend your raised leg and let your left hand hold it.
- Hold the position and take deep breaths.
Modified Half Moon Pose
You can do a lower impact version of the Half Moon Pose by kneeling instead of standing.
- Begin by kneeling on the floor with your hands on your sides.
- Extend one foot to the side and keep your other leg in a kneeling position. If you’re kneeling on your right knee, you should extend your left foot outward and point your toes.
- Place your right arm on the floor for support.
- Raise your left arm up to the ceiling while lifting your left foot off the ground. Make sure your left foot is parallel to the ground.
- Hold this position and take deep breaths.
Push yourself and try this yoga pose today!