Craving creamy comfort food, but watching your diet? Try our healthy and delicious Paleo Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Sauce!
Going on the paleo diet motivates me to choose healthier ingredients whenever I cook. So when I had the urge to make a traditional dish with mushroom sauce, I just had to make a paleo version. Thanks to some research and help from friends, I found this super tasty and satisfying Creamy Paleo Chicken with Mushroom Sauce.
Instead of cream, this dish uses just 4 tablespoons of coconut milk to thicken the sauce.
Okay, I know what you’re thinking. Would coconut milk taste good? I didn’t think it would until I actually tried it. Plus, coconut milk is packed with lots of healthy fats!
All you have to do is bake the chicken breast and cook the mushroom sauce in a pan. Here’s a tip: To get really smooth and rich sauce, use the cream from the coconut milk. Don’t shake the can. Just skim the thick layer on top and use it for the sauce. You can use the rest of the coconut milk to add to a low carb curry recipe or smoothie later.
This creamy paleo chicken is rich, healthy and filling. I can honestly say it hardly tastes like I’m on a diet. Try it for yourself and enjoy!
Paleo Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 4 chicken breasts, preferably boneless
- 1 cup button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 medium white onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, minced
- Half a cup of chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 leaves of romaine lettuce (for plating)
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Put the chicken breast in a baking pan. Bake it for 30 to 40 minutes until it’s white and juicy on the inside.
- Prepare all the ingredients. Mince the onion and chives. Thinly slice the mushrooms.
- When the chicken is almost done, start making the mushroom sauce. Heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until it’s translucent. Stir in the mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and let it simmer for another 3 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk and add the chives. Add the salt and pepper. Cook for 2 minutes or until the sauce is creamy. Once the chicken is done, it’s time to plate your dish.
There you have it! Now your Creamy Paleo Chicken is ready to serve!
Take a large plate or bowl. Place the romaine lettuce and spread it out like a fan to one side. Put the chicken breast on top of the bed of lettuce. Pour the mushroom cream sauce over the chicken and spoon generous servings of mushroom on the side. You can top the chicken with chives.
For more delicious paleo dishes, check out our Paleo Shrimp Scampi with Zucchini Noodles!
To stay updated on our health and fitness posts, follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter! Just search for @FitBodUs!